Nobody likes the daunting and sometimes disgusting task of
toilet cleaning. Little do we know it can be quite easy to
do and less time-consuming. The job needs to be done one way
or the other to protect our household against
If you are tired of postponing and have decided to take on
this rather daunting task today, all you need to do is
follow the steps in this toilet cleaning guide and you can
turn this disgusting chore into a less complicated one. You
will be done in no time, I promise.
· To start with, clear everything that does not need to be
around the toilet area to reduce the chances of anything
being ruined by splashes and sprays from the toilet bowl.
· You will need; toilet cleaners, disinfectant, a toilet
brush, gloves, goggles and cleaning towels or paper towels.
You can find all of these items at your local stores in
· Wear eyewear, gloves, and full-clothing while working to
prevent eye or skin contact with splashes from the toilet.
We are trying to keep the toilet clean not attract more
bacteria to ourselves.
Dust and sweep around the toilet area to remove cobwebs in
any corners. Tackle the toilet surface and surfaces around
the toilet, use the cleaner to wipe down toilet paper
holders, mirrors, faucets, and sinks.
· Flush the toilet with the lid down. After this is done,
open it up and pour your choice of cleaner into the bowl and
let that sit while you work on the other areas. Apply
generously to the rim so that the whole cleaner is not
· A way to totally avoid dilution of your toilet cleaner is
to get rid of the water in the toilet bowl. Get a toilet
plunger and plunge away until all or most of the water is
gone. Your cleaners can now be applied everywhere in the
bowl and remain still remain concentrated.
· Always start the cleaning of your toilet from top to
bottom. You do not want to have to re-do the whole thing
when products start dripping from the top after you have
already cleaned the bottom.
· A lot of people often neglect the water tank. Do not be
like them. It can be a breeding ground for bacteria, mold,
and mildew. Open up the water tank and pour the cleaner and
disinfectant into the water and let them sit for a while.
Flush the toilet 2-3 times to rinse off the tank. You do not
want any left-over products eating at your pipes.
· While the cleaning solution sits in the toilet bowl, wipe
down the exterior of the toilet with the cleaner and a
towel. Make sure to wipe down the seat and under the toilet,
get into all the corners and do not forget to wipe the
toilet flusher handle.
· Now is the time to clean the toilet bowl. Use your toilet
brush to scrub around the bowl and the hole at the bottom of
the toilet. Pay attention to the surface beneath the rim,
grime and dirt have a habit of accumulating there. Again, do
not forget to close the lid before you flush.
· After this, take the disinfectant and the cleaning towel
or disinfecting wipes and wipe down the toilet both inside
and outside, on top and underneath. You need to stay
protected against bacteria.
· If the stains on your toilet are stubborn and are too much
work for you, you might want to invest in a pressure
cleaner, it can help you take out the toughest stains from
those hard-to-reach spots on the toilet. You can find it at
home improvement stores in Singapore.
· Take care of your toilet brush, soak it in vinegar or
bleach after each use and change it out before it gets too
old, preferably a few times a year.
· Soak and wash your cleaning towels after all the work is
done so they can be reused safely.
· Do not forget to mop the floor in your bathroom with a
cleaner and disinfectant to ensure all-around
cleanliness. Also, keep the walls around the toilet clean.
Here are a few things I feel the need to remind you of in
· Close the lid of your toilet when flushing. The toilet is
like a fountain of bacteria when it is being flushed. All
the sprays and splashes contribute to distributing the
germs, make sure to keep it covered.
· Do not clean with a sponge. Sponges are good at harboring
germs and there are already enough germs in the toilet as it
is. Use disposable paper towels or cleaning cloths that can
be washed, disinfected and reused.
If you still have a lingering urine smell even after all
your hard work, here are tips on how to get rid of it;
· Combine baking soda and fresh lemon juice (great for
disinfecting and odor control) into a paste with a thick
· Spread the paste over the toilet surface, both in and out
and allow to sit for about 15-20 minutes.
· After the time has elapsed, spray the dried paste with
white vinegar and all it to fizz, wipe of with cleaning
towel when this is done.
Here are a few DIY toilet cleaners that you can try out if
you are not interested in the manufactured stuff;
· Baking soda + 1 cup white vinegar + teaspoon tea tree
Combine the vinegar and the tea tree essential oil in a
spray bottle. Sprinkle the baking soda in a bowl and then
scrub with a toilet brush.
· Borax + 1 cup white vinegar + 10 drops lavender essential
oil +5 drops lemon essential oil.
Combine ingredients, spray on toilet bowl and surface and
· 2 cups water+ white vinegar+ 1 Tsp dish soap+ 1 Tsp baking
Mix the ingredients together in a spray bottle. Spray toilet
surface and bowl and wipe
clean or scrub.
To get a DIY disinfectant made:
· Combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol in a
bottle, shake and apply to surface.
· Combine vinegar and a few drops of essential oil in a
spray bottle, mix, spray on the desired surface and wipe.
You can find most of these ingredients in your home or on
the shelves of your local stores in Singapore.
If you follow the steps in this toilet cleaning guide,
0toilet cleaning will become a breeze for you. Do it as
often as possible so your toilet and household, as a whole,
can be kept germ-free and fresh-smelling. Now go on and
enjoy your clean toilet.